Most people struggle with words when expressing sympathy. It’s just plain difficult coming up with the right words to express deep compassion.
More often than not, we hear people say “I know that you’re going through.” This canned expression comes across as downplaying a person’s sense of loss. It also sounds a bit insincere because, really, you don’t know what the other person is going through. And in case you do, the expression would still be highly inappropriate.
Then there’s the sympathy card, the one that comes with the sympathy flowers you ordered. And just like in writing romantic card messages, this too can be tricky. How exactly do you show your compassion without sounding artificial?
Here are some ideas that you can write on a sympathy card:
- Words do an injustice in explaining how much we will miss _______. (He or she) will remain very alive in our memories and admiration.
- Please accept these flowers and hear the words we are not able to speak.
- May you take comfort in knowing there is one more angel above us.
- May the peace which comes from the memories of love shared comfort you now and in the days ahead.
- This card isn’t meant to do anything for you but let you know that I am thinking of you at this time. I am sorry for your loss.
- I am praying for you to get through this time with peace that comes from the knowledge that God loves you and will take care of you.
- “No one can truly know what you are experiencing in this time of loss. Please accept my condolences and know that you are in my thoughts.”
- Words are not enough to convey my sympathies at a time like this but I just wanted to say I’ll be by your side.
- I am at a loss for words. I know there is nothing for me to say that will make your loss easier. I hope you can understand what I can’t put to words.
- I want so much to help you and be there for you. Yet I know nothing can fix this heartache. Please know that you are not alone. You are continually in my thoughts and prayers. I want to help in any way I can.
Sympathy card wordings can uplift people’s spirits, especially at times of loss. In addition to your kind words, make sure that you also give the right flower for the occasion. Search the Internet for sympathy flowers to give.